January 29, 2016 Odin Designs No Comments

At one point in time I had no idea what I wanted to do. I was working at a gym part time in a small country town and would do side work to help pay the bills. On day I realized I was going absolutely no where and something had to change. Ever since grade school I had told people that I was going to go travel but nothing ever became of it. One day a friend had told me that I needed to see Australia and that was it. My mind was made up. I bought a one way ticket and joined the help exchange group “Workaway”. I sold everything of value I could, left my girlfriend and friends, boarded a plane with only $220 in my pocket, and hoped for the best. I landed in Tasmania two days later. Luckily the person I happened to stay with was one of the best people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. Initially I planned to stay for two months and ended up staying nine. During that time I met some amazing people, purchased a Toyota Camry that was my first overlanding vehicle, got a job and saved up for the months ahead.IMG_2573

I had never heard of a roof top tent until my boss suggested that I purchased one. After looking them up I knew it was exactly what was needed. I ended up selling the Camry and picked up a 1999 Jeep Cherokee that was manual and had the Italian VM Motori diesel engine in it along with a arb bumper. The thing was a champ. After fixing a leaky gear box and adding an aluminum box rack and an Ironman offroad fridge the only thing left was finding a tent.

I usually wasn't this messy

I usually wasn’t this messy

I must have perused the ads and facebook groups for about a month. The only roof top tents I could find were was out of a backpacker’s budget or on the mainland. After almost giving up and camping in the back of the jeep, I found someone selling their car that had one on it. $500 convinced them to part ways with their roof top companion. By saying that this thing was used would have been an understatement. The thing had probably seen more of Australia than most Aussies and had been “rooted” in more times than a cheap motel but I had a tent and was ready to go. I said good bye to all my friends and jumped on a ferry for Melbourne.

Written by Reuben Davison